Action Alert, Due by March 4, 2021
The EPA is currently soliciting comments on a Class II-D draft Underground Injection Well Permit located in Clara Twp., Potter County,Pennsylvania.
Send your concerns to the EPA by March 4, 2021.
PERMIT NUMBER PAS2D050BPOT
Let the EPA know if you are concerned about:
- The possibility of surface spills and runoff into nearby streams and rivers.
- The potential for diminished property values.
- Compensation for diminished property values.
- The integrity of the well casing and it’s potential for failure.
- The potential for increased truck traffic.
- The inability of state regulators to provide adequate oversight
- About the damage to the local roads.
- The Increased noise.
- The origin of the waste to be injected.
- The proximity to high value streams.
- The local emergency response capabilities.
- Alternative waste disposal options.
- The low bond required by the operator that incentivizes abandonment over reclamation.
- The operator’s history of compliance with DEP’s waste& production reporting requirements.
Please email public comments on the draft UIC permit to the attention of: Kevin Rowsey, Source Water & UIC Section, U.S. EPA Region 3
Subject line: PAS2D050BPOT
The Invisible Hand
Clara Township, Potter County, PA Proposed Injection Well Action Alert &Timeline
Plans have been made to hold an informational meeting to discuss a proposal to convert a conventional oil well ( in the photo above) in the Allegheny River watershed into a class II injection well. Class II injection wells are used to dispose of waste fluids associated with oil and natural gas production.
The Clara Township supervisors, local residents and members of local environmental advocacy organizations have scheduled a meeting for January 27 at 7:00pm!
(Clara Township Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clara-Township-Potter-County-Pennsylvania/104051812965315) (Contact Clara Township 814-698-2268)
They have been gathering information on the proposed waste disposal well. Their hope is to provide the information they gathered to the public and also listen to residents’ concerns so they may convey their concerns to the permitting authorities. Applications for this project are on file and are pending approval by both the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection and the (federal) Environmental Protection Agency.
On August 17, 2020 Roulette Oil & Gas LLC applied to the EPA for authorization to convert a conventional well into a Class II injection well in Clara Twp., Potter County, PA. (The authorization form is located here in Google Docs here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zgxfMx6_9ObUNdcvHv8Zx1F5lmpHRIBq/view?usp=sharing)
According to the PA Oil and Gas Map the location of the proposed injection well is in the Clara Oil and Gas Field near the Pleasant Valley, Clara Township border at Latitude DD: 41.894586 Longitude DD: -78.148143
You can see the location on Google Maps here: https://goo.gl/maps/GiZXjinNVtKgp12z6
Is Drilling and Fracking Waste on Your Sidewalk or in Your Pool?
They’ve spread it on roads. They’ve irrigated almond farms and fruit groves with it. The oil and gas industry’s liquid waste has been used for a variety of commercial and industrial purposes over the years. But never has the “beneficial use” of this waste stream been so grossly applied, or so close to home, as it is today.